Stealing Blinds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poker Forum geared towards positive improvement of all members.

StealingBlinds.Com  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Bet Strategy Empty  

Bet Strategy

Go down 
+3
IVSuboxone
alxak
GarlicButter
7 posters
AuthorMessage
GarlicButter
Admin

Staker Points : 65
Horse Points : 0

Bet Strategy Empty
PostSubject: Bet Strategy   Bet Strategy EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 8:47 am

This is from my experience, and from the few coaching sessions i've had with friends online.

Pre-flop:
If you are going to play, you want to be the aggressor. Unless there are a lot of limpers in the pot before your action, you either want to bet or fold. Depending on your starting hand, you may want to limp too, or you may want to bet. If you have a premium hand, you will want to raise to try and knockout some crappier hands, so they don't hit a 5-9 straight vs your AA.

Betting:
Standard rule of thumb - bet 3 x BB + 1BB per limper. So if the blinds are at 50/100. You are in seat 7, and there have been 2 limpers in front, your bet would be 500.

If someone has riase before you, you want to be bet 3x their bet.

If you have 10bb's or less, or getting close, any play you have will be shove or fold. Your best bet will be to shove an unopened pot, unless you have a monster then you should just shove.

Also, if any of your bets will put 1/3 or more of your stack into the middle, you should just shove anyway. Any lesser bet, and then a shove by the other player, you are pot-committed and will have to call anyway.

Post Flop
Alright, you've seen a flop. You hit top pair, two pair, set, straight etc., the usual post flop bet for me is 2/3 of the pot, and again if it puts enough of your stack in the middle, you should just shove..

You've seen the flop, and didn't hit. 2 options.
Option1- Continuation bet - you bet 2/3 of the pot hoping to get a fold. If you still don't hit after the turn or river, let the pot go, unless you are really sure you can get a fold.
Option2 - Let the pot go, cut your losses.

You've flopped the Nuts
If you flop the best hand, no other combinations can be made with the turn and river to beat your hand, you many want to check the flop and hope to get a bet from the opponent, cause chanes are, they won't call if you have the absolute best hand.

Turn and River Pretty much the same as betting on the flop. You should always make your opponents pay to see your hand, don't go offering free information to them that will let them know what kind of hands you are playing, and how you bet them.

remember, bet or fold. no flats, flats get you no info on the opponent.
Back to top Go down
alxak
alxak

Staker Points : 3

Bet Strategy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bet Strategy   Bet Strategy EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 2:50 pm

love you
Back to top Go down
IVSuboxone

Staker Points : 0

Bet Strategy Empty
PostSubject: Great Advice!!   Bet Strategy EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 2:32 am

I just followed these tips to the tee in 5000 player freeroll and dominated till my last hand and would have kept dominating if i laid down my JJ when i knew i was beat. But other then that i cant wait till tomorrow to practice it more.
Back to top Go down
fuhgeddaboudit
Admin
fuhgeddaboudit

Staker Points : 771
Horse Points : 473

Bet Strategy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bet Strategy   Bet Strategy EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 4:22 am

IVSuboxone wrote:
I just followed these tips to the tee in 5000 player freeroll and dominated till my last hand and would have kept dominating if i laid down my JJ when i knew i was beat. But other then that i cant wait till tomorrow to practice it more.

great indeed practice does make perfect Smile haha
Back to top Go down
ollyolyy
Stealing Blinds Promoter
Stealing Blinds Promoter
ollyolyy

Staker Points : 195
Horse Points : 50

Bet Strategy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bet Strategy   Bet Strategy EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 10:03 am

i think this is the better way as u can!!!hahahaha!!! cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
GarlicButter
Admin

Staker Points : 65

Bet Strategy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bet Strategy   Bet Strategy EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 2:59 pm

IVSuboxone wrote:

Don't get discouraged about losing with JJ. learn to trust your instincts, if you think you're beat, you probably are, you will lose more than you win, but the bigger each win is, the more you can support your loses and stay in there. The better you play, the more wns you will rack up
Back to top Go down
fuhgeddaboudit
Admin
fuhgeddaboudit

Staker Points : 771
Horse Points : 473

Bet Strategy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bet Strategy   Bet Strategy EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 2:28 am

GarlicButter wrote:
This is from my experience, and from the few coaching sessions i've had with friends online.

Pre-flop:
If you are going to play, you want to be the aggressor. Unless there are a lot of limpers in the pot before your action, you either want to bet or fold. Depending on your starting hand, you may want to limp too, or you may want to bet. If you have a premium hand, you will want to raise to try and knockout some crappier hands, so they don't hit a 5-9 straight vs your AA.

Betting:
Standard rule of thumb - bet 3 x BB + 1BB per limper. So if the blinds are at 50/100. You are in seat 7, and there have been 2 limpers in front, your bet would be 500.

If someone has riase before you, you want to be bet 3x their bet.

If you have 10bb's or less, or getting close, any play you have will be shove or fold. Your best bet will be to shove an unopened pot, unless you have a monster then you should just shove.

Also, if any of your bets will put 1/3 or more of your stack into the middle, you should just shove anyway. Any lesser bet, and then a shove by the other player, you are pot-committed and will have to call anyway.
you are right but once again this all depends on the tourney(s) you are playing because live will be completely different. in some donkfest like a quarter buyin entry non of this will stop donks from calling monster raises with 84off lol

Post Flop
Alright, you've seen a flop. You hit top pair, two pair, set, straight etc., the usual post flop bet for me is 2/3 of the pot, and again if it puts enough of your stack in the middle, you should just shove..

You've seen the flop, and didn't hit. 2 options.
Option1- Continuation bet - you bet 2/3 of the pot hoping to get a fold. If you still don't hit after the turn or river, let the pot go, unless you are really sure you can get a fold.
Option2 - Let the pot go, cut your losses.

You've flopped the Nuts
If you flop the best hand, no other combinations can be made with the turn and river to beat your hand, you many want to check the flop and hope to get a bet from the opponent, cause chanes are, they won't call if you have the absolute best hand.

Turn and River Pretty much the same as betting on the flop. You should always make your opponents pay to see your hand, don't go offering free information to them that will let them know what kind of hands you are playing, and how you bet them.

remember, bet or fold. no flats, flats get you no info on the opponent.
Back to top Go down
iSuckOutOnU
Stealing Blinds Promoter
Stealing Blinds Promoter
iSuckOutOnU

Staker Points : 7

Bet Strategy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bet Strategy   Bet Strategy EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 2:15 am

I agree with almost everythin you stated, the only exception would be betting preflop. I konw that you have to add 1BB for every limper in front of you if your raising, but my normal PFR is usually 2.3bb-2.6bb. If you consistantly make it 3xBB or 3.5xBB, you're making the pot pretty hefty before the flop is ever see. I understand doing this with some pretty monster hands, but then again if it gets in a war of preflop, I'd rather raise/fold 2.3-2.75 than 3-3.5 and minimize losses. I've learned over past couple years that you still get the same amount of information for a lesser amount ( someoen that folds to a 3xBB is probably gonna fold to a 2.5xBB and you aren't risking as much of your stack). But other than that slight preference of mine, everthing else is spot on IMHO Very Happy
Back to top Go down
thatldodonkey
Stealing Blinds Promoter
Stealing Blinds Promoter
thatldodonkey

Staker Points : 37

Bet Strategy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bet Strategy   Bet Strategy EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 1:10 pm

iSuckOutOnU wrote:
I agree with almost everythin you stated, the only exception would be betting preflop. I konw that you have to add 1BB for every limper in front of you if your raising, but my normal PFR is usually 2.3bb-2.6bb. If you consistantly make it 3xBB or 3.5xBB, you're making the pot pretty hefty before the flop is ever see. I understand doing this with some pretty monster hands, but then again if it gets in a war of preflop, I'd rather raise/fold 2.3-2.75 than 3-3.5 and minimize losses. I've learned over past couple years that you still get the same amount of information for a lesser amount ( someoen that folds to a 3xBB is probably gonna fold to a 2.5xBB and you aren't risking as much of your stack). But other than that slight preference of mine, everthing else is spot on IMHO Very Happy

I agree with this in certain situations, maybe good positon when trying to steal or see a flop for cheap. However if you are only raising a little over double the blind you are giving a much wider range of hands the ability to see a flop while making the mathematically correct decision, especially the blinds who are already in for nearly half of your raise nevermind the limpers. Also if the only the only time you raise more than your usual amount is with a monster then you will be quite readable and not get alot of action. And you should never be thinking raise/fold unless something feels really fishy, you were cold bluffin, or its a hand with thebattler33. So i guess I would disagree that you get the same information simply because I know that I am much more likely to call another 1.5bb than 2.5 or 3bb especially if I am already invested or there is lots of $$$$ to be had. Just mho Happy holidays ALL! santa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bet Strategy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bet Strategy   Bet Strategy Empty

Back to top Go down

Bet Strategy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stealing Blinds :: Stolen Antes :: Strategy and Tips :: NL Holdem / Limit Holdem-
Jump to: